Friday 31 October 2014

Getting the Most out of Charity Shops


Many readers will know that I am a charity shop addict (I think they are known as thrift stores in the USA). I thought it would be helpful if I gave a few tips on how I find I get the most out of my charity shop expeditions!

1) Visit regularly - at least four times each week;

2) Find out if rails are re-stocked at set times and, if so, time your visits just afterwards;

3) Get to know the volunteers - they will often be pleased to have a chat and if you let them know your interests e.g. vintage style, they will tell you if something of interest has been donated;

4) Be prepared to search thoroughly through the rails each time you visit. You may not find anything of interest 9 times out of 10 but then you might just find a designer item in your size for a few pounds!

5) After a set number of weeks at full price, items are reduced to half price and then to £1. Slightly faulty garments are also placed on the £1 rail. I always search through the reduced items as even if they don't fit perfectly they can be altered, repaired or even made into a different item.
 
If you have any charity shop tips, I would be delighted to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! Thanks for sharing these tips! You are quite right about doing a thorough search - one might find hidden gems. :)
    ~Paige
    Sunday Best and All the Rest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! Yes, I should ask about vintage in my local town- we have several charity shops but I've NEVER seen any vintage!x

    ReplyDelete