Many readers will know that I am a charity shop addict (I think they are known as thrift stores in the USA). I thought it would be helpful if I gave a few tips on how I find I get the most out of my charity shop expeditions!
1) Visit regularly - at least four times each week;
2) Find out if rails are re-stocked at set times and, if so, time your visits just afterwards;
3) Get to know the volunteers - they will often be pleased to have a chat and if you let them know your interests e.g. vintage style, they will tell you if something of interest has been donated;
4) Be prepared to search thoroughly through the rails each time you visit. You may not find anything of interest 9 times out of 10 but then you might just find a designer item in your size for a few pounds!
5) After a set number of weeks at full price, items are reduced to half price and then to £1. Slightly faulty garments are also placed on the £1 rail. I always search through the reduced items as even if they don't fit perfectly they can be altered, repaired or even made into a different item.
If you have any charity shop tips, I would be delighted to hear from you.